Monday, March 7, 2011

Cash Tips

Today's lesson is this. The harder you work the more your work will give back to you.

This isn't only true when you are talking about tip wage jobs, though we will cover them first. I run a cafe/bar/grill/service cart food and beverage operation during the day. It is very hard for me to teach people to work hard. But it is easy for people to want to make more money. I have a simple answer.

Work harder, work smarter = Make More Money.

Our industry specializes in personalized sales. People don't come to the Golf Club to eat, the come to play golf and we they to customize our menu to convince them they also want to eat. I work diligently to make the right food for the right person. Even if it isnt on the menu. I want to be able to give them the best item for their needs. This is how I am getting ahead with my customers and building a repeat client base.

On the money making side of the job is this. Find out what people like, and find out how to make them want what you have. I am not a pushy sales person. I offer things, rather than push things. If you glass is empty I ask if you want another. If you are sitting with nothing, I ask if you want something. If you stare at the menu and then walk to sit down, I know you are hungry just dont know what to have. All of the people I can sell things too.

My "girls" have a different job though. They must go to the customer that is never going to come to them and then convince them that they need something. They are required by Job to be pushy, but kind. Sweet and Bossy. They sell by replacing empty cans in your cart and waiting to be paid for them. Or getting your more beers knowing you have a tab open. They convince you that you need a snickers bar to make it through the next nine holes. They use theirs smiles to trick you into saying yes when you never knew you wanted anything.
They are the sweet innocence that plays devil in your head.

This is where the money is made. Driving around on a Beverage Cart. Selling a thousand dollars in beer/soda/candy/water and then going home with 20% or more in tips... oh yeah and sales bonuses. It doesnt take much for a cart girl to be able to make $20/hr just smiling and being a little pushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment